Guardiola in Italy? Coach should refuse selection proposal, says newspaper
Guardiola, considered a priority by the Italian Football Federation (FIGC) to lead the national team, signaled a likely refusal of the invitation. The Spanish coach requested 20 million euros per year, an amount that doubles the offer made by the entity and makes it difficult to complete the agreement, according to information published on July 23, 2026. This financial requirement, initially reported by the Italian press, points to the unfeasibility of the negotiation.
The FIGC leadership, with representatives such as Leonardo and Paolo Maldini, has always expressed admiration for the former Manchester City coach. However, Guardiola’s salary expectations far exceed the federation’s budget limit. The Italian press reports that this high amount could be a tactic by the coach to end talks, as he previously expressed interest in taking a career break after ten years in English football.
On the same topic: Italy and other teams probe Guardiola, but coach opts for sabbatical and negotiations are brief
The attempt to hire a coach of Guardiola’s caliber highlights the complicated phase of Italian football. The team, known as the Azzurri, is facing a deep crisis, marked by its absence from the last three World Cups, in 2018, 2022 and 2026. In this context, the federation is seeking a complete restructuring of its approach to the game, aiming to restore the team’s competitiveness on the international stage.
More on this story: President of the Italian Federation confirms negotiations with Pep Guardiola to take over the national team
Italian Federation tried to make exceptions to enable Guardiola’s arrival
Even with the uncertain scenario, the president of the Italian Federation, Giovanni Malagò, confirmed that the entity made efforts to create special conditions that could attract the Spanish coach. He admitted, however, that a favorable result is unlikely, according to his statements.
“Exceptions were made, exceptions that, for example, could refer to the name that is so dominant at the moment: Pep Guardiola. Exceptions for obvious reasons that I will not mention here, but it is not guaranteed that this agreement will come to fruition,” said Malagò in an interview.
The manager added: “However, I believe it was right and important to open a dialogue and keep it alive. It is not, in any way, a lack of respect or consideration towards other coaches, because discussions have already started in relation to other names, and then you can opt for someone who is perhaps from a more recent generation, let’s say, and the issue there is very subjective.”
If Guardiola’s refusal comes true, the Italian federation must prioritize a local coach. Andrea Pirlo appears as the main candidate on the list of possible replacements, followed by names already established in the football scene, such as Roberto Mancini and Antonio Conte.
















