US attacks around 90 military targets in Iran
United States Central Command (Centcom) forces carried out a new series of attacks against Iran this Wednesday, May 8, with the aim of decreasing the country’s ability to target commercial vessels and civilian sailors transiting the strategic Strait of Hormuz.
According to a statement released by the American military, the operation reached around 90 strategic points along the Iranian coast. Among the locations hit or damaged are air defense systems, coastal surveillance assets, missile and drone depots, naval capabilities and military logistics infrastructure.
Valiollah Hayati, deputy governor of Khuzestan province, told journalists that three individuals lost their lives and several others were injured in the offensive on the outskirts of the city of Ahvaz, according to the Iranian news agency IRNA.
More on this story: Iranian presenters display weaponry on state broadcasters, intensifying serious regional tension with US threats
This Wednesday offensive follows an initial round of attacks carried out the night before. As of Tuesday, May 7, Centcom forces had already bombed approximately 80 military targets in Iran, including more than 60 small vessels belonging to the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps.
According to Iranian state media, eight Air Force and Navy soldiers died during Tuesday’s bombings in the cities of Bandar Abbas and Bushehr.
Imagens mostram a torre de controle marítimo de Chabahar, no Irã, após o ataque dos EUA na noite passada.
— Área Militar (@areamilitarof) July 9, 2026
A torre foi atingida em uma tentativa de interromper o controle do Irã sobre o Estreito de Ormuz. https://t.co/emuic0xGqR pic.twitter.com/63uBXUhZkM
The American government justified the initial retaliation as a direct response to Iran’s breach of a ceasefire agreement. The country allegedly attacked three commercial ships sailing through the Strait of Hormuz, one of the world’s most critical shipping lanes for global trade and oil transportation.
Also on Wednesday, Iran’s Revolutionary Guard issued threats to attack other American military bases in the region, after claiming attacks in Bahrain and Kuwait.
President Trump announces end of pact and promises new offensive
The military escalation gained new development this Wednesday, May 8, with statements by the President of the United States, Donald Trump. During a press conference in Ankara, Turkey, alongside NATO Secretary General Mark Rutte, before an alliance summit, Trump declared that the pact with Tehran “has come to an end.”
“For me, I think [the peace agreement] is over. I don’t want to negotiate with them [Iran] anymore. They are scum, they are led by sick people and they are an evil and violent people. (…) I will talk to my negotiators, but it is a waste of time dealing with them. As far as I know, it is over,” said the American president.
Learn more: Escalation in the Gulf: Iran launches missiles at US allies after American offensive and closes Hormuz
Shortly thereafter, before a bilateral meeting with Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky, Trump softened his tone slightly. He mentioned that he was “not sure if the agreement will hold”, but condemned the fact that Iran sank 28 vessels on Tuesday, May 7, and indicated that the offensive will continue.
“I’m going to give you a little warning: we’re going to hit them hard tonight,” he told reporters, adding: “If necessary, we will cut off the electricity system and the water treatment plants, but we don’t want that.”
Tehran reacts with threat to block the Strait of Hormuz
In direct response to the threats, Iran stated that it will close the Strait of Hormuz if new attacks occur against the country this Wednesday, as reported by Iranian broadcaster Press TV. The information was attributed to a security source who spoke on condition of anonymity.
The same source also indicated that Tehran will attack “enemy” targets at a rate of at least two to one if Trump’s NATO promises come to fruition. The sea route, through which 20% of all global oil exports transit, had been reopened following the agreement signed the previous month.
Also on Wednesday, Iran’s Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps released a statement claiming responsibility for attacks on United States military bases located in Kuwait and Bahrain. The country’s armed forces also threatened to expand attacks to other American bases in the region if the US attacks again.
On the same topic: United States deactivates two Iranian oil tankers in Hormuz after exchange of fire on the 8th
The statement detailed that the retaliatory raid specifically targeted installations in Arifjan and Ali al-Salem, in Kuwait, and Jufayr and Sheikh Isa, in Bahrain. On Tuesday, Iranian state media had already reported explosions in the Bandar Abbas, Qeshm and Sirik regions.
During the night, warning sirens were activated in American partner countries, and air defense systems were activated.














